Extreme Temperatures: Winter Storm - Cleaning Up
Material provided by Federal Alliance for Safe Homes http://www.flash.org/
After a Winter Storm
- Identify possible damage, such as broken pipes and downed tree branches or power lines.
- Report damage to utility company and avoid the area to prevent personal injury. To repair roof damage, call or consult a licensed roofing contractor.
- Never try to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame or torch.
- Shut off the water and call a licensed plumber.
- Carefully assess snow or ice accumulations around the home. Clear walkways and sidewalks to prevent injury, but use caution to avoid overexertion.
- Close exterior water spigots.